DOCTOR of MUSICAL ARTS
Doctor of Musical Arts
The Doctor of Musical Arts in Vocal Performance: provides opportunities for students to develop their performance abilities while expanding their knowledge of music literature and vocal technique. This program in the Alabama School of the Arts is uniquely designed to prepare students for performance & teaching across multiple styles, including contemporary, musical theatre opera and others.
- Develop and maintain efficient technique and compelling artistry.
- Further essential stage skills and experience.
- Opportunity to learn from professors with real-world experience and established records of successful teaching.
- Gain practical experience for application of pedagogy.
- Development of cross-styles both in performance and in teaching.
- Concierge Model with your personal Success Coach to support your journey from application to graduation.
- Your personal Success Coach will guide you through your specific major from enrollment, financial aid assistance, academic guidance, and help you adjust to returning to school.
- Christian environment with an emphasis on Biblical worldview.
- Performance opportunities in Opera, Musical Theatre, and Concert with Roger Breland Center for Performing Arts.
- All-Steinway School.
- No GRE Required.
- Potential professional association with Mobile Opera, Mississippi Opera and other established companies.
- Teaching Fellowship with International Performing Arts Institute
- Professor at collegiate level
|Course Code||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|Analysis of Tonal Music||3 hour|
|MU 602||Advanced Analysis||3 hour|
|Seminar in Lit and Style in Performance I||3 hour|
|Seminar in Lit and Style in Performance II||3 hour|
|MU 610||Graduate Music History||3 hour|
|MU 611||Graduate Music History||3 hour|
|MU 624||Advanced Vocal Pedagogy||3 hour|
|MUA 631||Graduate Applied Voice||2 hour|
|MUA 632||Graduate Applied Voice||2 hour|
|MUA 633||Graduate Applied Voice||2 hour|
|MUA 634||Graduate Applied Voice||2 hour|
Graduate Vocal Coaching
|MUA 638||Graduate Vocal Coaching||1 hour|
Graduate Vocal Coaching
|MUA 640||Graduate Vocal Coaching||1 hour|
|MU 690||Intro to Research in Music||3 hour|
|MUS 696||Comprehensive Examination||0|
|MU 697||Oral Examination||0|
|Research not related to Dissertation||1-3 hours|
|Document Research||1-6 hours|
|MINOR AREA COURSES:|
|MU 624||Advanced Vocal Pedagogy (Included in DMA Voice Core Curriculum)|
|MU 625||Comparative Vocal Pedagogy|
|MU 626||Historical Vocal Pedagogy|
|MU 627||Musical Theatre Vocal Pedagogy|
|TH 530||Directing I|
|TH 502||Acting I|
|TH 503||Acting II|
|TH 510||Stage Movement/Combat|
|TH 521||Theatrical Makeup|
|TH 530||Production Procedures|
|TH 513||History of Musical Theatre|
|TH 505||Beginner Ballet|
|TH 506||Beginner Tap|
|TH 507||Beginner Jazz|
|TH 508||Advanced Ballet|
|TH 509||Advanced Jazz|
|TH 515||Auditioning in the Global Theatre Marketplace|
|WL 554||History and Philosophy of Music and Worship|
|WL 515||Survey of Arts in Worship|
|WL 552||Relational Issues in Worship|
|WL 555||Practical Skills in Worship|