Admission to the Teacher Education Program
Admission to the Teacher Education Program is required and must be approved by the Teacher Education Council. Requirements for admission are:
- completion of 60 semester hours (48 hours of core curriculum coursework);
- a minimum 2.75 GPA overall, in professional studies, and in teaching field;
- a current photograph;
- an essay successfully completed prior to the interview;
- an interview successfully completed;
- recommendations from the adviser and a School of Education faculty member; and
- passing the Alabama Prospective Teacher Test or the Basic Skills Test.
Admission Requirements for the Prospective Educators Program
Requirements for conditional admission to the first two academic periods (semesters) of teacher education classes:
- Application for conditional admission to the Teacher Education Program.
- 48 hours of general studies completed toward the basic core requirements.
- 2.75 GPA for all courses counted toward the Elementary Education major.
NOTE: Unconditional admission to the program is required prior to continuing after completion of two academic periods (semesters). Please note the following:
- Upon admission to the Teacher Education Program, students are required to complete the current State Department of Education-approved programs, which meet federal “NCLB” standards.
- The appropriate Praxis II content exam, as well as the Alabama Prospective Teacher Test, must be successfully completed as a pre-condition for certification in the State of Alabama.
- Official admission into the Teacher Education Program is required prior to enrollment in restricted professional teacher