MOBILE, Ala. – A new survey of University of Mobile freshmen found over 97% would recommend UM to their friends, while over half said their favorite thing about the Christ-centered university is the people.
“My favorite thing about UM so far has been how welcoming and encouraging everyone is. From my fellow peers to all the faculty, everyone has made this place feel like a second home,” wrote a student on the anonymous survey.
“I feel noticed,” wrote another.
Over 90% of the university’s 2019 freshman class – 239 of 265 – responded to the survey conducted in September 2019. Students were asked to rank the importance of various factors that influenced their decision to attend UM. Open-ended questions asked why they chose the university and what they liked most about their college experience so far.
Lesa Moore, vice president for marketing and public relations, said the survey confirms that aspects of the University of Mobile that make it unique are the same attributes valued by students.
“The people of UM – faculty, staff and students – make us who we are as an institution. Research says that Gen Z students value uniqueness and authenticity, and this survey shows they are finding that at the University of Mobile,” Moore said.
She added that Pew Research says Generation Z, those born in the mid-1990s to early 2000s, is on track to be the best-educated generation ever.
The university conducted the survey to learn how incoming freshmen found out about UM, what was important to them, and how their college experience has been so far.
Over half of respondents said they originally heard about UM from friends or family, a finding that Moore said reflected the university’s reputation.
Among the findings:
- Over 96% said they were satisfied, very satisfied or extremely satisfied with their experience.
- The top five factors influencing their college decision are scholarships/financial aid, career opportunities after college, academic programs, faculty and Christian environment.
- Favorite things about UM so far are the people (51%), atmosphere, small campus/classes, the Alabama School of the Arts/performing ensembles, and Christian focus.
- The most important reasons they chose UM are Christian environment/spiritual growth, scholarships/financial aid, a sense that God led them to UM, athletics and academics.
- Nearly half ranked the 4-day academic week as very important, along with pracademics hands-on experiential learning.
“I chose UM because of the small, Christian-based atmosphere. I felt so welcomed and like I was home whenever I entered the campus. I fell in love immediately,” a student commented.
About the University of Mobile
The University of Mobile is a Christ-centered liberal arts and sciences institution with a vision of higher education for a higher purpose, founded to honor God by equipping students for their future professions through rigorous academic preparation and spiritual transformation. Core values are: Christ-Centered, Academically-Focused, Student-Devoted and Distinctively-Driven. The university offers on-campus and online bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in over 75 academic programs. Founded in 1961, the University of Mobile is affiliated with the Alabama Baptist State Convention and is located 10 miles north of Mobile, Alabama on a campus of over 880 acres.
For more information about the University of Mobile, visit the website at www.umobile.edu or call Enrollment Services at 1.800.WIN.RAMS or 251.442.2222.