SIX REASONS TO SUPPORT UNIVERSITY OF MOBILE!
IMPACT on ATHLETICS
With over 275 student-athletes in 18 sports, University of Mobile Rams Athletics is a significant contributor to the UM experience. It not only attracts and retains a large number of students, but also provides opportunities that enhance student life, provide a rallying point for alumni and the community, and raises the profile of the university across the nation and the globe. Donor support is critical to the daily operations of the athletic programs, and also to recruit and retain the very best student-athletes and coaches.
Giving to athletics allows:
– Scholarships to recruit and retain student-athletes
– Athletic facility improvements
– General support for all sports programs
“Our athletic success is a direct reflection of the continued support of loyal families and friends of the University of Mobile. Providing the necessary resources to meet the competitive environment of intercollegiate athletics is very important for every student-athlete in their pursuit of athletic and academic excellence. Here at the University of Mobile, we have been very blessed to have many friends and supporters who help make this pursuit of excellence possible.”
– Joe Niland, Athletic Director and Head Men’s Basketball Coach
IMPACT on ACADEMICS
Sustaining the high quality of University of Mobile’s academic programs not only includes attracting and retaining students and faculty, it also requires providing comprehensive support for teaching and learning. This ranges from maintaining the university library to keeping up with the latest technology needed for cutting-edge teaching methods for student experiences. Financial gifts to academics also allow us to introduce new academic programs to meet the needs of a changing workforce and stay relevant and competitive in the academic market.
Giving to academic programs allows:
– State of the art healthcare simulation equipment
– Cutting edge pedagogical technologies including the latest in virtual and augmented reality
– Undergraduate research opportunities
– State of the art science labs
– Travel abroad opportunities
“Academic programs at the University of Mobile are the lifeblood of our mission: to provide a Christ-centered, academically rigorous education to a new generation of Christian leaders. Your gift allows us to continue to provide best in class learning environments and new education opportunities that ensure our students have the advantages needed to compete in today’s fast-paced global marketplace.”
-Dr. Christopher J. McCaghren, Vice President for Academic Affairs
IMPACT on FACULTY
University of Mobile students benefit from a low student-faculty ratio of 13 to over 50% of classes have fewer than 20 students, and all classes are taught by faculty (not graduate students). This makes it possible for students to learn from faculty members who are not only scholars and researchers, but also passionate teachers who seek to know their students’ dreams and help achieve them. With our academically strong curriculum taught from a Christian worldview, students discover practical applications for daily life. The ability to provide support and recognition for these professors is crucial to recruiting and sustaining the very best faculty for the University.
Giving to faculty allows:
– Research and professional development opportunities
– Travel opportunities
– Access to state of the art teaching practices and technologies
– Hiring of new faculty from across the nation
– Outreach programs to the local community
– Rewarding of outstanding teachers and researchers
“When our stakeholders support the University of Mobile, they enter a partnership with the faculty in the task of fulfilling the mission of a Christ-centered institution.”
– Dr. Lonnie Burnett, Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
IMPACT on STUDENT LIFE
Student Life at the University of Mobile seeks to shape students personally and spiritual through amazing experiences, serious leadership development, and genuine spiritual formation all grounded in the gospel and Christian worldview and aimed at producing students who are prepared to engage the world. Supporting Student Life means joining in the University of Mobile’s transformational process, engaging students, and preparing them to engage the world.
Financial support for student life would go towards:
– Enabling students to participate in mission opportunities & spiritual growth activities (Youth Hostel Missions, Urban Plunge, The Bridge).
– Enhancing student community in residential facilities
– Providing unique learning opportunities such as keynote chapel speakers and lectures.
IMPACT on CAMPUS
Gifts from alumni, family, and friends contribute in incalculable ways to University of Mobile’s beautiful campus. Capital gifts fund academic and residential buildings that provide living-learning communities with state-of-the-art technology, while older facilities require continuing maintenance and renovation to meet changing needs. Unrestricted gifts to the UM Fund permit allocation of funds for both upkeep and enhancement of all elements of the physical plant, from grounds to labs and libraries.
Giving to campus projects allows the university to:
– Compete with peer institutions and recruit prospective students
– Enhance teaching through projects like the All Steinway campaign and the Center for Excellence in Healthcare Practice
– Provide community spaces like the Great Commission Front Lawn
IMPACT on FINANCIAL AID
The University is committed to making a University of Mobile education available to all admitted students, regardless of their financial circumstances. 99% of our students receive some measure of financial aid, and in 2016 the University awarded over $11 million in student scholarships.
Funding for financial aid comes from endowed scholarship funds, Annual Giving, and other forms of current-use support. The availability of unrestricted funds (UM Fund) makes it possible for University of Mobile to respond flexibly and promptly to increased financial need.