EARLY CHILDHOOD or ELEMENTARY EDUCATION (ADULT)
Request More Info
Alabama College for Professional and Continuing Studies
Early Childhood or Elementary Education
The Bachelor of Science degree in Early Childhood or Elementary Education is a degree for students who desire to become
an educator through study in an enriching Christian environment. This course of study requires the student to participate
in practicum experiences in the classroom and a full semester of student teaching. To fulfill these requirements, students
who currently work full-time may need to take time off at their jobs.
Admission to the Teacher Education Program is required and must be approved by the Teacher Education Council. Requirements for admission are:
- completion of 60 semester hours (48 hours of core curriculum coursework);
- a minimum 2.75 GPA overall, in professional studies, and in teaching field;
- an essay successfully completed prior to the interview;
- an interview successfully completed;
- recommendations from the adviser and a School of Education faculty member; and passing the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test.
- Admission Requirements for the Prospective Educators Program
- Requirements for conditional admission to the first two academic periods (semesters) of teacher education classes:
- Application for conditional admission to the Teacher Education Program.
- 48 hours of general studies completed toward the basic core requirements.
- 2.75 GPA for all courses counted toward the Elementary Education major.
NOTE: Unconditional admission to the program is required prior to continuing after completion of two academic periods (semesters). Please note the following:
- Upon admission to the Teacher Education Program, students are required to complete the current State Department of Education-approved programs, which meet federal “NCLB” standards.
- The appropriate Praxis II content exam, as well as Praxis Core Academic Skills Test, must be successfully completed as a pre-condition for certification in the State of Alabama.
- Official admission into the Teacher Education Program is required prior to enrollment in restricted professional teacher