DEPARTMENT of PUBLIC SAFETY
The goal of the Department of Public Safety is to provide the utmost security for all those who enter the property of the University of Mobile. Our continued training and perseverance is dedicated to the protection and safety of the campus, students, faculty, staff, and visitors. The department operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and operates patrol functions in patrol vehicles, foot patrol, video surveillance, and access control.
24 hour Dispatch
Dial 33 from any campus landline
Anonymous emails: email@example.com
Director of Facilities & Public Safety
TIPS TO HELP YOU TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR OWN SAFETY
• Be alert and walk purposefully. Stay alert to what is going on around you.
• Travel, walk or park in well-lit areas and with a companion whenever possible. Avoid lonely or gloomy places, especially at night.
• Whenever possible try to walk facing traffic. Exercise with a friend. Ask anyone that gives you a ride to wait until you have safely entered your building.
• Respect your intuition. Don’t allow rationality to override your “gut feeling” – it could protect you from danger. Call the Department of
• Public Safety immediately if you feel something is just not right (251.510.4273)
• Be wary of strangers, on foot or in cars, asking directions – it’s better to be rude than to be in trouble.
• If someone follows you, go to a place where there are other people, and call the Department of Public Safety immediately.
• When someone knocks on your door always ask “who is it” before opening the door.
• Be careful about giving out information concerning yourself and where you live.
• Be cautious when using elevators. Stand near the buttons and get off immediately if you are suspicious of other occupants.
PERSONAL SAFETY IN RESIDENCE HALLS
• Lock your door when you are at home, lock your door when you are away, please lock your door always!
• Report any suspicious activity immediately, including anyone that makes you feel uncomfortable.
• Pull the shades to your room at night and lock your windows.
• Watch out for each other! Report any sign of forced entry. Do not go in. Instead, go to a safe place and call the Security Department (251.510.4273)
• During book buy-back time, your books are like cash. Don’t leave them unattended.
• You can engrave items of value: computers, printers, dvd players, stereos, cameras, TV’s etc. The Department of Public Safety offers a program called Operation Identification where you can record model and serial numbers of your property. This information will assist Officers with locating and recovering your property if it is stolen.
• Make a copy of your I.D., license and credit cards to keep at home with your family in case yours are lost.
What to Do in Case of an Active Shooter!
We are members of several professional organizations:
IACLEA (International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators)
NACSA (National Association of Campus Safety Administrators)
NRA (National Rifle Association)
AHA (American Heart Association)
2018 – Niche.com – Top 5 Safest Colleges in Alabama
2017 – BackgroundChecks.org – Safest College in Alabama
2017 – CollegeChoice.net – 19th Safest Small College in America
2017 – Campus Safety Magazine – Safety Director of the Year Finalist
2017 – NACSA – Supervisor of the Year Award