FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE
Ram Rush is the official University of Mobile New Student Orientation. It is organized by the University of Mobile’s Student Life Department and is full of concerts, free food, free give-aways, games, new friends, orientation info, and tons of fun!
Every new student is assigned a Ram Fam Group (RFG) upon registration. Your group assignment is based on your Freshman Seminar class section number. Groups range in size from 15-20 students. Each RFG has two active and engaged UM student leaders to guide you through your first week at UM, help you meet other students, and get involved. They will fill you in on all the details of each event, what to wear, and where to be using your RFG Facebook Group you will be invited to in a few short weeks.
Ram Rush will begin at move-in on Friday, August 18, 2017 and continues through the first week of classes to Friday, August 25. Events are not mandatory except for orientation on Saturday, however participation is highly encouraged, as Ram Rush is one of your best ways to get connected to fellow students and get involved in Student Life. Dress is casual at all events and all event meals are free.
To stay up-to-date on happenings around campus, follow us on Facebook by “liking” University of Mobile-Student Life, adding UMobile Ram Rush as a friend, following us on Instagram @studentlifeum and Twitter, @STUDENTLIFEUM.
2017 Ram Rush Schedule
Friday – August 18
9:00am – Residential Life Move In (Assigned Residential Hall)
– Check-in with Residential Life to receive your room key. After check-in faculty, staff & student leaders will be on hand to assist you in your move.
11:30-1:00pm – Lunch (Ingram Dining Hall)
– Lunch provided for students and families in Ingram Dining Hall
1:00-2:00pm – Self-Guided Tours (**Students Only)
-Stop in any of the main academic buildings if you have questions about office or classroom locations. The University of Mobile Ambassadors will be available to answer your questions.
1:00-2:00pm – Parent Session (Weaver Auditorium) (**Parents Only)
– Meet academic deans, prepare your care package with Student Success, wrap up any financial aid documentation, and learn more about services available to you as a parent.
2:00-5:00pm – Parent Hospitality Corner (Java City)
– Finish up those last-minute runs to Wal-Mart or Lowes to wrap up those dorm decorations OR just hang out with other parents in Java City for free coffee on us!
5:00pm – President’s Commissioning (Weaver Front Lawn)
(**Mandatory for Students & Parents Welcome)
– Hear from UM President, Dr. Tim Smith, and be commissioned by parents, faculty, and staff.
6:00pm – Luau (Bedsole Commons Front Lawn) (**Students & Parents Invited)
– Wear your favorite floral shirt and come ready to hula! Enjoy free dinner and entertainment, complete with fire jugglers, photo booth, and leis for days.
7:30pm – Outdoor Movie: Moana (Weaver Lawn) (**Students Only – Family Portion of Program Is Now Over)
– Enjoy a free movie on a 100ft blow up screen. Don’t forget the snacks we will have, candy, popcorn, nachos, and much more!
Saturday – August 19
8:00am – Breakfast (Ingram Dining Hall)
9:00am – Orientation, mandatory for all new students (Ram Hall Auditorium)
9:00-9:45- Residential Students Only
9:45-11:00- All New Students
11:00am – Lunch (Ingram Dining Hall)
11:00am- Foo and a Friend (Foosackly’s in Saraland)
-Try out one of our favorite lunch spots! When a returning student buys a box, a new student gets a foo snack for free!
12:30- 3:30pm – Gulf Coast Duck Boat Tours/ Goodwill Gala Shopping (The Fort of Colonial Mobile, 150 South Royal Street) Meet at Ram Hall patio to carpool with your RFG. Duck Tours by RFG at 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30.
– Gulf Coast Ducks provides the world’s only triple splash so get ready to see our great city from a new point of view all while learning new and interesting facts along the way.
5:00pm – Dinner (Ingram Dining Hall)
10:00pm – “Goodwill Gala 90’s Skate Party” (Busses Begin Shuttle Service at Ram Hall)
Sunday – August 20
7:00-10:00am – Breakfast (Ingram Dining Hall)
9:30-1:00pm – “For the Church” (Busses Pick up at Tennis Courts)
– Bus by Ram Rush Group to 1 of 3 local churches to experience their worship service and enjoy free lunch immediately following. Transportation provided.
1:00pm – “Sundaes with the Smiths” (Home of Dr. Smith and Mrs. Penney)
– After “For the Church” join Dr. and Mrs. Penney Smith for sundaes. (Transportation provided from churches)
7:00pm – Free Daps (Java City Patio)
– Hip-Hop freestylers that are sure to impress with funny punch lines and smooth lyrics.
Monday – August 21
8:00am – Classes Begin
7:30pm – Intramural Slip N Slide Kickball (Intramural Field)
– Compete against other RFG’s in a Slip N Slide Tournament for a chance to win a group prize!
Tuesday – August 22
5:30pm- True Spin “For the Church and City”
(Dinner Served, Weaver Front Lawn)
– True Spin is an amazing opportunity for students to get plugged into churches and ministries around Mobile. Come out to meet with 20 local churches and ministries.
Wednesday – August 23
11:00am – University Chapel: Convocation (Redemption Church)
(**Mandatory for Students)
Transportation will be provided beginning at 10:30am.
– Chapel is one of the many intentional ways spiritual growth is encouraged at the University of Mobile. Chapel meets weekly for Christ-centered worship and teaching and is intended to ground students in the biblical worldview and challenge them to engage the world.
3:00- Ram Un-Rushed (Student Success Center)
-Enjoy s’mores and coffee with our student success team. This event is for students who need a break from the rush to come relax in a laid-back atmosphere with fewer people.
Thursday – August 24
12:00-2:00pm – UM EXPO (Ram Hall Auditorium)
– Looking for a bank, new favorite coffee shop, or job? Come and go from 12-2pm & get all sorts of free goodies from over 50 local businesses and on-campus clubs and organizations.
5:30 – Ram Madness Tailgate (Dinner served at The Jungle)
– Come support your Lady Rams Soccer Team take on cross-town rival, Spring Hill College #BashtheBadgers
7:00 – Women’s Soccer Game vs. Spring Hill College
Friday – August 25
9:00 – Serve Day (Meet at Java City to carpool with your RFG)
Freshman Seminar is a course designed to assist freshmen in their transition from high school to college. This course is an excellent way to get acquainted with the University of Mobile, UM faculty and staff, and UM peers. Freshman Seminar seeks to enhance the learning experience by providing opportunities for students to develop the skills, values, behaviors, and attitudes necessary for success at the University of Mobile. Through the semester topics discussed include study skills, time management, budgeting, health and wellness, Christian Worldview, professionalism, major selection, career exploration and confirmation. Students will hear from various university officials regarding UM procedures, learn to access MyUM, and utilize campus resources.
In addition to the course instructor, each course section has been assigned an upperclassman, a UM student serving as your Peer Leader. Your PL will help answer any questions you have along the way, aid in the transition, and help inform you of campus events and UM opportunities. Through the Freshman Seminar course we want to help you make the most of your first semester, laying the foundation for a successful college career.