Campus Career & Graduate School Week Spring 2022
University of Mobile Office of Career Services is returning to an in-person Campus Career and Graduate School Fair. Although the fair will be organized through Handshake! If you are following God’s call on your life to continue your education through a graduate program, looking for your first job after college, searching for an internship, we can help. Please view the resources on this page and please contact us for assistance.
5 SUCCESS TIPS:
- Claim your Handshake profile, meet with Career Services to have your resume and other career documents reviewed, and use them to complete your Handshake profile.
- Schedule a practice interview with Career Services and continue to interview as much as possible. Even if you are not really interested in a job if you are offered an interview take it. And remember to ask for feedback. Practice makes perfect!
- Attend in-person or virtual career fairs and network, network, network!
- Seek out any kind of volunteer opportunity or job for this summer that will help you continue to build soft skills (communication, critical thinking, leadership, team building, etc.).
- Start building your professional wardrobe. A first impression is a lasting impression. Will Rogers said, “You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.”
For help with your job and internship search, please use Handshake! Handshake is a career platform that connects students with jobs and internships in all fifty states. Please claim your account and complete your profile by going to https://umobile.joinhandshake.com/login.
- Did you know that 80% of students who fill out location preferences, job role preferences, and job type preferences receive a message from an employer? It’s a simple step, but a really effective way to start engaging with potential employers online. Here’s a quick guide to getting the most out of your Handshake profile.
- If you need to upload new documents for an employer, please click here.
Career Service Events Spring 2022:
Student Success Learning Center | 11 – 11:45 AM
February 16 | Resume Writing
February 23 | Interview Skills
March 9 | Job Search & Networking Skills
March 30 | Resume Writing
April 6 | Interview Skills
April 20 | Job Search & Networking Skills
Please feel free to bring your lunch!
Drop-In Career Services
Handshake In A Hurry | Interview Quick Tips | Rapid Resume Review
Student Success Learning Center | Wednesdays | 11:00 AM – 1:20 PM
Please feel free to bring your lunch!
Join Handshake & Claim Your Profile
February 21 - 24
UM Campus Career & Grad School Week
Monday, March 14 – Thursday, March 17
Monday, March 14 – Wednesday, March 16. Professionals Back to Class
Thursday, March 17, 8 – 11 AM. Career & Graduate School Fair | Ram Hall | In Person
The mission of the University of Mobile is to provide students with concrete strategies that will facilitate their academic and professional goals as they collaborate with caring professionals and student leaders while aligning their academic pursuits with their professional calling. For more information about student success, please visit umobile.edu/studentsuccesscenter.
Resume Writing Resources:
LinkedIn for Job Seekers:
Christian Job Search Sites:
- Christian Employment Resource - https://christianjobnet.com/
- Vanderbloemen Search Group - https://www.vanderbloemen.com/
- Church Staffing Jobs - https://www.churchstaffing.com/
To register to receive government job notifications, please go to the following:
- Alabama State Personnel Board - https://www.personnel.alabama.gov/
- Federal Government Employment Site - https://www.usajobs.gov/
- Mobile County Personnel Board - Applications GovernmentJobs.com
- USAJobs (the federal government’s official employment site) - https://www.usajobs.gov/
Job Search Sites:
Creating a LinkedIn profile
Lists you need to make when you start your job search
How to Introduce Yourself at a Networking Event in 30 Seconds
Remove these 7 things from your resume ‘ASAP,’ says CEO…
Interview Pro Tips: How to Nail a Situational Interview
Life after graduation: Salary Negotiations for the Entry-Level Applicant
Watch: How to Use the STAR Method in an Interview
34 Sample Questions to Ask During a Full-Time Job Interview
How to Answer Questions About Your Strengths and Weaknesses in an Interview
Need a professional headshot for your Handshake account? Stop by the Enrollment Services in Weaver Hall and ask for Marketing.
Peer Career Coach:
To connect with a Peer Career Coach for help completing your Handshake profile, writing a resume, preparing for a job interview, etc., contact Lawrencine Mason at email@example.com and she will put you in touch with one.
INVENTORIES & CAREER HELP
For assistance in finding a major, Student Success suggests that you take FOCUS 2 and Myers-Briggs Type Inventory to help you discover more about yourself, your interests, and your passions.
Create an account:
Before logging in, REGISTER as a New User
Access code is RAMS
Once completed, send four letters and four percentages to Lawrencine Mason at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
For help with career skills, salary, education requirements, and projected job growth
Contact Lawrencine Mason at email@example.com for more information.