UM IS INVESTING IN CREATIVITY
Partner with us as we are raising money to build a new state-of-the-art building for graphic and visual arts. This will provide a world-class education to our current and future students.
It is important for the students at the University of Mobile to have adequate studio space. I am in my 15th year at the University of Mobile; during this time our enrollment has tripled. We began by adding a degree in Graphic Design. In the last three years, we have developed two Bachelor of Fine Art programs that allows us to add more courses to our curriculum, increasing the need for more classroom space and equipment within graphic design and the studio arts. The purchase of a new kiln and the donation of a printmaking press are great examples of the expansion happening in our program.
- Phil Counselman, Chair and Associate Professor of Art
“The art department has given me the experience and skills I need to land internships and build relationships within the art field.”
- Miki Marlowe, Senior Studio Art Major
The Visual Arts Department facility at the University of Mobile is at capacity. Currently, the Visual Arts Department cannot expand programs, attract more students and attain accreditation with the space limitations. A new Visual Arts Building of approximately 7,000 square feet will:
• Accommodate more art students, enabling the program to grow
• Allow for new, updated equipment, preparing job-ready graduates
• Provide individual art studios for students, important for senior thesis students preparing works for their public exhibits
• Enable the program to apply for accreditation from the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) which is considered the Gold Standard for similar programs in the United States
View Proposed Building Layout